Driver Tip Sheet
This is a summary from an article by the Defenders of Wildlife. We recommend checking out the PDF here for a detailed explanation of of the tips listed below as well as helpful links.
- Be particularly alert when driving in wildlife areas
- Slow down and increase the following distance between you and other cars
- Limit driving in wildlife areas at night
- Be especially careful if you are on a motorcycle
- Keep up with regular auto maintenance
- Think like an animal – be familiar with wildlife behavior
- Don’t litter
- Don’t rely on “deer whistles” or other gadgets
- What to do if you see wildlife on or near the road
- What to do if you hit an animal
WHAT MORE YOU CAN DO
Get involved in your local government
- Attend county commission, zoning or metropolitan planning organization meetings.
- Vocalize your concern about loss of wildlife habitat to new road construction and urban expansion.
Write to your state transportation agency
- Express your concern about the rapid loss of wildlife habitat to new road construction and expansion.
- Encourage them to incorporate wildlife considerations into future transportation planning and the renovation of existing infrastructure.
- Inquire about their current efforts to reduce the impacts of transportation on wildlife.